The Platform Tour XBlock feature helps participants familiarize themselves with the Open edX platform. It provides course teams with a ready-to-go and user-friendly option, replacing the original Walkthrough.
When adding the Platform Tour, course teams should leave the component as is, without any edits or changes. By using the ready-made XBlock, your platform tour will be kept up-to-date as the platform is updated in the future. Altering the component settings, whether it is disabling a step or changing the text of the tour button, will prevent new, future steps from automatically applying to that tour.
Take a look at the differences between the Walkthrough script and the Platform Tour XBlock.
If you're interested in adding the Platform Tour feature to your course, follow the steps below.
- Go to the Advanced Settings page in Studio (Studio > Settings > Advanced Settings).
- Enter "platformtour" in between the [ ] brackets in the Advanced Module List field. If you have other advanced feature items, each must be on its own line and separated by a comma.
- Save your changes.
- Go to the course outline and select the unit you want to add the platform tour.
- Click on the "Advanced" button underneath "Add New Component".
- Select "Platform Tour". Below is how the component will appear.
- Remember to Publish the changes.
That's it! You now have the Platform Tour XBlock ready to go for your course. To view it in the participant view, click on the "View Live Version" button at the top of the page.
If for some reason the course team feels it is necessary to make alterations to the Platform Tour XBlock, below are the steps that can be taken to modify the XBlock. Keep in mind that once you click the component 'Save' button, future steps updates made to the XBlock will not be automatically applied unless a brand new Platform Tour component is added. We strongly recommend against making any changes to the Platform Tour.
- From the default component display, click "Edit" to customize the tour.
- The first three options are Display Name, Button label, and Introduction text. We recommend leaving these with the default text. If you choose to customize any of these three fields, the text should be short and simple.
- By default, all the platform tour steps are enabled, besides Custom. Custom is reserved strictly for advanced users. If there are steps you do not want to include in the tour, you can disable them simply by unselecting the checkboxes.
- Note: If a step is selected but the platform tour cannot find that step in your course, the step will be skipped. For example, if the Discussions Forum option is selected in the Platform Tour settings but the Discussion tab is hidden in a course, that step will be skipped, as if it was never selected. However, we recommend going through the platform tour in the LMS to check that everything you selected appears as expected.
- Save your changes only if you are certain you are ok with future updates not affecting your tour.
- Once you're happy with the unit, remember to Publish the changes.
Note: If you wish to have future updates automatically applied to the tour after clicking the 'Save' button, simply delete the component and add a new one from scratch.
To see the Platform Tour XBlock live with all the default selections enabled, go to the Platform Tour subsection in our Lagunita Demo course. Please note that you will need to be logged in and enrolled in the Demo course to interact with the feature. Or, take a look at the screenshots below of three default steps in the Platform Tour XBlock:
Walkthrough Script vs. Platform Tour XBlock
With the original Walkthrough script, new steps, updates and improvements to the script were not automatically added. Changes to the script required course teams to manually edit the script whenever the platform was updated with new wording. Now, with the Platform Tour XBlock, steps will be kept up-to-date as the platform changes without requiring course teams to make any manual changes.
For those who used the Walkthrough script in previous courses, you will notice that some options may not be available by default. The chart below indicates the different default steps between the Walkthrough button and the Platform Tour button.
|Step||Old - Walkthrough||New - Platform Tour|
|Film strip navigator||Y||Y|
|First page tab||N||Y|
|Second page tab||N||Y|
If you have any questions about the steps of Platform Tour, please reach out to CourseOps by clicking on the "Submit a request" link on this page.