There are a number of ways to get data out of your Open edX course. This article describes the types of reports available on the platform and where you can find them. Most data can be found in the Instructor Dashboard in the LMS view.
Instructor > Data Download
- A Grade Report can be used to see how all participants are doing in your course on a high-level. The grade report is a CSV file that displays participant scores on all graded assignments. The data includes participants' individual scores, overall grade, username, and email address.
- A Student Responses Report can be used to see how participants are doing on a problem by problem basis. The Student Response Report generates a CSV file for all participant responses to questions in the course. As of December 2018, the report includes the timestamp of when the participant submitted their response.
- A Course Forum Usage Report can be used to determine how many participants are interacting with their peers in the course and whether the forums are being utilized. The Course Forum Usage Report generates a CSV file of forum interactions over time during your course. This also offers an option to graph the data directly on the Data Download page for a trend over the lifetime of your course:
Clicking the "Graph This" option displays this type of graph at the bottom of the Data Download page:
- A Student Forum Usage Report can be used to determine whether participants are engaging with others in the course. The Student Forum Usage Report generates a CSV file of each participant's forum usage. The report includes a user's public username, number of posts and if their posts have received up votes.
- An Ora2 Responses Report can keep course teams updated with how a Peer Assessment Assignment is coming along. The ORA2 Response Report generates a CSV file of participants' Peer Assessment submissions, assessments, and feedback received on their submission.
- The Student Profile Information can be used to find out more information about your participants. The report will display registration demographic information such as location, name, and why they signed up on the platform.
- The Answer Distribution Report can be used to determine the difficulty level of assessment questions within your course. The Answer Distribution Report generates a CSV file of how many times each question option has been selected for every question in your course. This report is automatically generated every day.
Instructor > Metrics
The Metrics page gives you a snapshot view of how participants are interacting and engaging with your course materials. You can see how many people have opened a given subsection. In addition, you'll be able to see grade distributions for questions in your subsections.
The charts are interactive. By clicking on the bars in the graph, you can get a list of participants who have opened that subsection or responded to a question. For example, you could get a list of all the users who answered the question incorrectly.
Note: The data is only available in real-time for courses with 100 or less participants. For larger courses, the data will represent the previous day. You can also download a CSV of all subsection and problem data.
Staff Analytics Info provides information as to how participants are answering questions within your course. You will see the Staff Analytics Info button below each Multiple Choice, Checkbox, Dropdown, Numeric, Text, and Formula response question. Below is an example of a multiple choice problem.
- For Multiple Choice and Checkbox questions you will see a graphical display of the frequency with which participants choose a particular option for their last response.
- For Dropdown, Numeric, Text, and Formula questions, you will see the number of students responding, with correct and incorrect counts, displayed textually in-line.
Note: If you do not see the Staff Analytics Info button, make sure you are signed into the Lagunita account that has staff access. If you are signed in to the correct account, double check that you are not viewing the course as a Learner.
Instructor > Insights
Insights has a lot more data for course teams to dive into. It provides data on Enrollment, Engagement, Performance and Demographics. It is an external reporting tool that can show participant activity by week ("active learners", "videos watched", "problems attempted" per week). You can also get enrollment information, number of new signups per week and geographic information. You can get to Insights from any page in the Instructor Dashboard.